Saturday 17 April 2010

Urgent Varroa Mite Control

Saturday 17th April

Having made certain just how serious the infestation is I came straight back out with the varroa treatment equipment.
These are two small 'ekes' and two Thymol gel packs. It's not usual to use Thymol at this time of the year as it taints any honey in the hive but if I don't take immediate action the varroa population will massively increase in the next few weeks - the colony would be lucky to survive to mid-summer, let alone produce any honey at all!
I removed the supers, right down to the brood chamber.
The small eke went on next. This is used so that the Thymol pack won't get crushed by the supers.
Pack is opened and placed facing upwards.
I did the same on both hives, hopefully this will knock out loads of varroa before it's too late to save the colony. I'll keep monitoring the floors regularly - there should be a huge mite drop in the next few days.