Thursday 13 May 2010

A Swarm of Bees

Thursday 13th May

Since we've cut down all those old pine trees around the apiary, it has been clearly visible from our garden. This is very fortunate because I wasn't planning on going over to check the bees today until I happened to glance over there after work today and noticed this:
A swarm of bees hanging on the side of one of the hives! It was already quite late in the day (about 5pm) and this not what I expected to find here after the swarm control measures we've been using!
It was fascinating to see them close up - completely peaceful, just waiting there until the scout bees find them a suitable new home.
It's hard to guess how many bees there are here and it's impossible to tell which colony they swarmed from - we're just lucky that they decided to hang around here long enough for us to do something about it.


The problem is that I have nothing left to house them in! It was a foolish mistake but I thought that my swarm control was adequate and I don't have any spare nucs left. After taking these pictures I went back in to phone my local expert beekeeper. It's a bit embarrassing to have to ask for spare equipment as we've been trying to prepare for all eventualities but there's nothing else to do - with the cold nights we're still getting here, it's not likely that this swarm would survive until tomorrow morning unless it is properly housed.